Monday, August 6, 2012

Monstrance Activities for Saint Clare


Last August, while we were learning about Saint Clare, we made monstrances out of food as a hands-on learning activity.  My children still remember this meal, so this activity is definitely one we’ll repeat this year


You can see my post about this activity here.

Saint Clare is often pictured with a monstrance because she carried the Eucharist to the gates of her abbey when they were under attack; she prayed and requested protection.  The invaders passed them by.  

My older daughter particularly enjoyed listening to a podcast about Saint Clare provided by Vee at Paper Dali.  After listening, both of my girls colored Vee’s image of Saint Clare, available here.  I think we will revisit all of these activities again this year.

I have seen many different monstrance coloring pages and activities at a number of different blogs, so there are plenty of crafts to do while learning about Saint Clare.  We recently painted a monstrance using a painting technique highlighted by my friend Jennifer at Crafolic.


Jennifer intended this to be a lesson on painting straight lines, but my children preferred to move the brush back and forth to create the starburst pattern (can you tell?).  My youngest opted just to paint the starburst instead of the whole monstrance, which is Jennifer’s suggested adaptation of this craft for young children.  

You can read Jennifer’s directions, see other versions of this craft, and download the printable at her post.  Hint: place the cut out circles on your painted monstrance while the image is still wet and you can skip the gluing.

This craft also emphasizes the true presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, so it is a great activity for children preparing for First Communion.  My friend Karri suggested in the comments of Jennifer’s post a way to turn this activity into a prayer; older children and teens can say a prayer intention as they paint each line.  I really like this idea because each time you look at the painting, you can remember all those you prayed for.  Which gives me an idea for another craft... check back later to read about it!

13 comments:

  1. Love them, Elisa!!! The kids did a great job!! Thanks for mentioning me! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Jennifer. We always love doing your crafts.

      Delete
  2. I love your food idea. It is so cute and perfect for my little one who loves food. Thank you for sharing my comment from Jennifer's post. I'm planning on doing the activity with our young ladies group. Thanks for adding this to my Our Favorite Things Link Party.
    Karri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a great idea, Karri, and I hope you will post about it. I'd love to know how it goes.

      Delete
  3. That is very nice. Who would think of a Monstrance made with food? Very cool. Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I cannot take credit for this idea, but it is so much fun.

      Delete
  4. Precioso, que buenas ideas.
    Gracias por compartirlas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had me at food! Fun! thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up at the Monthly RoundUp at Catholic Bloggers Network: http://www.catholicbloggersnetwork.com/p/weekly-round-up.html
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I wrote about Saint Clare this week, too, with my Saints and Scripture Sunday post! I'd LOVE it if you'd come by and link up, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, thank you for the invitation. I have linked up. Nice to meet you.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely idea and project. I'd like to try this with my kids. Thanks for linking up with Making It Count. :-) God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, reactions, and ideas are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...